How to Choose the Best Real Estate Agent for You
Homeownership means having to make decisions – and one of the first ones you’ll have to make is finding a real estate agent that will help you throughout your home-purchasing journey!
How do you find an agent?
Referrals are all a part of the process – ask friends and family members if they can recommend an agent (if they’ve had a great experience with them, of course).
You can also easily Google “real estate agent [city] to find other reviews from Yelp, Zillow, and Realtor.com.
How do you choose?
After you’ve found the one you might want to work with, start going through their online presence – do they have a website, or any social media accounts? Are there any reviews online?
It’s important to choose an agent you feel comfortable working with – one who is competent and prepared to be with you throughout each step of the home-buying process.
Keep in mind:
- Differences between a Realtor® and a Real Estate Agent: All Realtors® and Real Estate Agents are required to be licensed by the state to represent buyers and sellers in property transfers. However, a Realtor® is a real estate agent who is a member of the National Association of Realtors® – which means that he or she must uphold the standards of the association and its code of ethics.
- Find an agent who is familiar with the community you want to live in. Here are some questions to ask your potential real estate agent:
- Do you deal mostly with home buyers or with home sellers?
- Do you stay in touch via text, phone call, email, etc.?
- Are you a member of the local Multiple Listing Service (MLS)?
- Are you able to provide local real estate market trends, values, and statistics?